How to Adjust Air Compressor Pressure Switch
A pressure switch is a type of mechanical device that is incorporated with an air pressure of an air compressor as you can tell by its name. It is a device that allows you to have control over the overall operation which the air compressor is executing.
This simple mechanism of the switch allows to completion of a full circuit and lets the power flow to the rotary motor until the pressure is in its desired state. In short, a pressure switch is easy to access to the overall control of the airflow system by which you can get the desired air pressure as per your requirement.
[amazon box =”B00HQYFZGM”]
- There are some variations in the pressure switches. Some are basic and you can’t adjust them, while the other ones offer you with options. Most pressure switches these days have both manuals on/off buttons and the auto system. Although the professionals suggest you to stick with the manual ones.
- There is an option of electric contacts. Some switches are able to contact this directly. Mostly small compressors like Dewalt (DWFP55130) have this option.
- In terms of the pressure set-points, these points are the valves where it is turned ‘on’ or ‘off’ and vice-versa. It is also called the cut-out system.
- Generally, air compressor set-points are opened at 7 bar and closed at 5.5 bar which indicates the ‘on’ (cut-in) and ‘off’ (cut-out) respectively. This difference between cut-in and cut-out is named ‘Pressure Differential’ in mechanical language.
- It is to be mentioned that these upper and lower pressure set-points are not adjustable.
- The mechanical connection is termed as‘port type’. There are many port types 1/4”, 3/8” and ½”. All depends upon the type of compressor.
- The simplest way to adjust a pressure switch is to rotate clockwise to increase the pressure and counterclockwise to decrease it. It is not rocket theory after all.
- You can use this technique in almost all types of air compressors. Bigger compressors like California Air Tools 10020C have slightly different pressure switches. Unlike the small ones, these compressors’ pressure can be controlled with automatic manual pulling valves.
- An important term is the blow-down valve which is used to press down the air pressure to secure an easier start-up. This blow-down valve is pre-installed in the compressors’ pressure switch. It has a small lever inside which provides pivoting convenience while adjusting.
- The main aspect of the pressure switch is to lead your compressor to your desired pressure and work with that. Keep in mind that if you have a compressor of 14-30 bar, a pressure switch worth 7-10 bar will be useless.
- This can be taken into consideration if you install an external pressure switch which the professionals do not suggest.
- It is better to stick with the built in pressure switch as it is provided by the manufacturer and is the most compatible. Use the switch carefully and adjust it as per your requirements.