Among many other mechanical devices, a pressure switch is one of the most used worldwide. It is a device which does operate a contract that is electrical; when predetermined inconstant pressure is reached. This pressure switch operates an electrical contact for both the increase of the pressure or decrease from a static pressure value.
The use of pressure switches is vast. There are many tools that use the pressure switch to control the overall pressure of the system. This device is mostly used in HVLP, HVAC machines, pumps, air compressors, furnaces and many more. However, there are many other tools that appear as they are also pressured switches.
The professionals suggest that a pressure switch cannot be compared to a pressure transducer. The main difference between a pressure switch and a pressure transducer is that the switch controls the pressure flow, and the transducer converts dynamic pressure into electric signals.
How do you adjust a pressure switch
- First, you must know a pressure switch’s cut-in and cut-out points. The cut-in (on) is for the decreasing pressure and the cut-out (off) is for the increasing pressure. Remember that there is always a differential in the cut-in and cut-out pressure.
- After you have known all the basics, simply detach it from the power supply before further adjustments.
- After doing that, measure the amount of pressure while being in the cut-in and cut-out situation. We have mentioned it above (the differentials). Please take note of the pressures and write them either in mm or inch units.
- After measuring, you can adjust the cut-in and the cut-out pressure points. Here, there are two nuts or studs to be adjusted; the larger nut is for cut-in and the smaller is for the cut-out.
- Keep an eye on the turnings of the keys. You should never make the mistake of turning them more than 3 times. Both up and down; 3 turns are more than enough.
- While you are adjusting, you should monitor the whole process. Sometimes there is water in the faucet of the sediments. For that you can drain it. Do it carefully.
- Keep an eye on the pressure gauge as it will show you the overall update of the pressure of the system. The reading on the gauge should be noted as it rises when there is increasing pressure built by the pumps.
- Last but not the least, for the final check-up, you can repeat some of the adjustments as per your requirement. Keep monitoring and keep yourself updated with the changes happening inside the system.
- Do not attach your machine to the power line until you have reached the desired pressure.
- After you have done all the steps correctly, you can attach it to the power line and start your operations.
- The professionals suggest you have an expert with you if you are doing it for the first time.
The air compressor is necessary for carpentry, auto repair, garage, and many other industries. It is essential to perform tasks like inflating tires, driving nails, drilling, and many other simple yet efficient tasks.
An example of a tool that employs raw and filtered air for lateral uses like these is an air compressor.
Due to the high duty nature of air compressors, maintenance is a need. The pressure switch on the air compressor is adjusted as part of this repair. You must determine the pressure differentials in order to change the air compressor pressure switch. This means the cut in and cut out the difference.
What is the best pressure washer to buy for home use? It is very unwise to ask this question as there are countless good options. There are so many brands that provide you with some of the best pressure washers.
For instance, Ryobi RY142300 2300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer is widely suggested by professionals. You can opt for this as this is a highly efficient product to use, and has no drawbacks at all.
In terms of pressure switches, to buy pressure switch for air compressors, you can buy these from the nearest automobile shop. Be wise and careful when you buy one. Because there are many frauds that will lure you with great looks, but ultimately, they end up being trash!
You can buy good pressure switches from amazon.com if you don’t want to risk it. You will find flawless pressure switches here.
However, the whole pressure switch adjusting thing might sound a bit hazy to you right now. The reason behind this is you have never done it before by yourself.
In this article, we’ll be telling you how you can properly adjust the pressure switch of your air compressor. And you will do it without facing any hassle. These details are solely provided for your convenience, so you need to read them all the way through with patience.
Open the air compressor first, and then check for the pressure switch. Smaller air compressors have switches that are straightforward and, occasionally, they are covered with hard plastic. The pressure switch is positioned inside the compressor and is firmly attached in the bigger industrial ones.
Use a screwdriver to open the screwed ones. And to open the standard ones, just press the button until it pops up.
If it does not, then wait for some time to rest the screw. Do not put too much pressure on it as hard plastic and the screw might break altogether!
Cut Out Pressure
Turn the compressor on and leave it in automatic mode to find out what the cut-off pressure is. The compressor will operate on its own and keep going until it shuts off. Keep an eye on the overall performance of the compressor while doing it.
Watch the compressor’s pressure gauge and record the pressure once it has stopped. Your cut-out pressure will be the one that you are getting now. If you are unsure whether it is right or not, we suggest you perform the same act again.
You may need two or three times to get the exact reading. If you get the same reading after a couple of times, you can proceed to the next step.
When you are through with the cut-out pressure, connect a hose line to the compressor. And let it empty its tanker of any remaining air in it. Do not leave any air in it, even if it is the slightest!
This will be your pressure cut or the cutout pressure. So, you better pay attention to the pressure gauge while you work and make notes similar to the prior phase. This time, you are using a manual process rather than allowing your compressor to operate on its own.
It is important to work carefully in this state. This is because you might make mistakes while doing it, which the machine wouldn’t have done. You can adjust the cut in pressure by using a wrench too.
After this, you should re-check all the previous processes. We suggest you to do this because there is always a chance of mistakes. The whole process will be ruined in two cases-
- If you fail to calculate the cutout pressure, or
- you make a mistake while noting the reading from the gauge.
Also, sometimes the pressure switches that you buy with your air compressor combo kit malfunction. Moreover, the pressure gauge that you have, might not give you actual reading and it might measure the pressure wrong!
To avoid that, you are suggested to buy the best air compressor combo kits. You must buy those which are not only just popular but also suggested by professionals worldwide.
For that, you can choose Dewalt air compressor combo kit. They provide you the best compressor combo kit with a good pressure switch.
Once you have re-checked the procedures all over again, you can go for the next step to finally calculate the pressure and adjust it.
After completing these steps, you must determine the difference between the cut-in and cut-out pressures that you have noted.
The differentials will display the necessary adjustment for you. Additionally, you might possess your own preferences. By altering the pressure switch, you may do this.
Simply move the switch clockwise to raise the pressure and counterclockwise to lower it to do. Use a larger wrench to tighten (clockwise) to raise pressure and loosen (counterclockwise) to decrease pressure on large industrial compressors.
While doing it, do not put extra pressure, especially when you are tightening it. This is because, if you put more pressure than it needs, you might end up breaking the screw knobs. As a result, the whole process is doomed!
To avoid that, we suggest you put some oil on the screw knobs before tightening them again. Now, many of you might be wondering why on earth one would put lubricant on the screw knobs. We have a logical answer.
When you’re tightening a new screw, chances are that it’s hard enough and the spirals are jammed to be rotated. in order to both tighten and losing.
So, put some lubricant while rotating it for the first time. The chance of breaking the knob will be at its lowest and you won’t be losing your newly bought pressure switch.
Remember, this lubrication should be done in the maiden process. That means you can put oil only once, to get things to go straight.
This is a simple way to modify your compressor’s pressure switch. Simply calculate the pressure differentials, and turn the switch in the appropriate direction based on your demands. You now have a properly set air compressor, there!