If you’re looking for the best air compressor for automotive painting, then look no further! Here, that’s exactly what we’ve come to do: to showcase the best!
Finding an air compressor that is suitable for painting your car is not always easy, especially given the multitude of products available these days. You might find one that you like the look of but then read the reviews and you are right back to square one. Painting cars is not like regular painting so you need to make sure that you choose the best air compressor for automotive painting that you can afford. Let’s take a look!
- Top 10 Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting Review
- Master Airbrush Dual Fan Air Compressor
- Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor
- Twin-Stack Air Compressor
- Master Airbrush Professional Air Compressor
- Craftsman Portable Air Compressor
- Master Airbrush Kit Air Compressor
- Multi-Purpose Master Airbrush Air Compressor
- Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Air Compressor
- Craftsman Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
- Master Professional Air Compressor
- Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Concept on Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
Top 10 Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting Review
Master Airbrush Dual Fan Air Compressor
This airbrush system is professional in its quality and has three best-selling Master airbrushes in the set that are user friendly. You also get a quick-start Master Airbrush guide and an access card to the Resource Center.
Master Airbrush Dual Fan Key Features
- Cool Runner II Model TC-320 with single-piston 1/5 horsepower compressor.
- Two cooling fans meaning it can run cooler for longer without overheating.
- There’s even a holder for two airbrushes.
- Three Master Airbrushes – Dual Action Model G22 1/3oz. gravity-feed cup with 0.3mm tip; Dual Action Model G25 1/6oz. cup with 0.2mm tip; and finally, a single-action Model E19 siphon feed and 0.8mm tip with 2 ¾ oz. siphoning bottles.
- Water-Based Primary Color Airbrush Acrylic Paint Kit – six opaque colors with cleaner and reducer.
- An additional two-sided color wheel for mixing and a brush cleaning set are included.
- 100% guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with the kit in the first year.
- There’s a refund or replacement, and for the compressor, this guarantee lasts for five years.
Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor
This Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor is portable and oil-less.
Campbell Hausfeld Key Features
- Horizontal tank with 3-gallon capacity. It has 0.36 CFM at 90psi.
- There’s a maximum PSI of 110 to tackle any DIY project. It uses a regular 120-volt outlet.
- The pump is oil-less which means it is maintenance-free and gives a reliable and strong motor output.
- 10-piece accessories kit including blow gun, hose, fittings, inflation needles, DBA at 3ft
- Compact design so it’s easily portable with gauges that are conveniently placed as well as being easy to understand
- Perfect for ball and tire inflation, powering air/brad guns or nailers, powering airbrushes, and for upholstery as well as other uses.
- Projects are finished easily and quickly thanks to Campbell Hausfeld, the self-proclaimed “Air Power Experts”.
Twin-Stack Air Compressor
This Twin-Stack air compressor is portable and ergonomic.
Twin-Stack 4-Gallon Key Features
- Lightweight design and easy to handle – perfect for professionals or those doing DIY jobs.
- Easy operation with a front panel and low noise level at 79dBA for a superior experience when in use.
- Maximum flexibility and power thanks to two couplers those are quick to disconnect.
- Offer 100% continuous use with multiple tools at the same time.
- Reliable with a synthetic lubricant suitable for all seasons to increase the tool’s efficiency.
- You can use it for around 2,000 hours before a change out.
- It lasts around four times as long as lubricants that are petrol based.
- The cylinder is made from hardwearing cast iron with a protective shroud at the back.
- There’s an enclosed frame and the pump has an excellent, extended lifespan.
Master Airbrush Professional Air Compressor
This kit is professional in its standards but can be used by all! It has everything you need for being the best air compressor for automotive painting!
Master Airbrush Professional Key Features
- Professional airbrush system with three user-friendly, best-selling Master Airbrushes.
- Comes with Airbrush ‘Quick Start’ help guide as well as an access card to the Airbrush Resource Center.
- Cool Runner II Model TC-320 Master Airbrush compressor with 1/5hp single-piston.
- Double cooling fans to allow for a longer running time with no overheating.
- Included are a double airbrush holder, quick-release coupler, air hose, cleaning brush and three coupler plugs.
- The Master Airbrushes are Model G22, Model S68, and Model E19.
- The G22 is dual action with a fluid cup of 1/3 oz. and a 0.3mm tip.
- The S68 is a precision siphon-feed brush that has a ¾oz. siphon bottle and 0.35mm tip.
- The E19 is a single action siphon airbrush with 2 ¾oz. siphon bottle and 0.8mm tip.
- The body art kit contains 16 different water-based colors for face and body.
- Each bottle is 1oz. in size. All pain is FDA compliant and non-toxic so is safe for us on skin.
- This kit can be bought with 100% confidence as you can ask for a refund.
- Replacement within the first year for the brushes and the first five years for the compressor.
Craftsman Portable Air Compressor
This portable air compressor is from Craftsman Air Tools. It is a great little kit!
Craftsman Portable Key Features
- It has a 2-gallon hot-dog tank that has a carry handle to make it all the more portable and easier to take to a work site.
- The pump system is maintenance-free and oil-free to give it an increased longevity and increased tool performance.
- The tank size of two gallons allows for increased stored air power and it has a 1/3hp powerful UMC motor giving it superior performance.
- It has a maximum pressure of 125psi and has a fast inflation speed to give you the ultimate performance for every project.
- A multi-purpose air compressor, it can be used for hobby painting, inflation, stapling, nailing, bolting, and fastening tasks.
- It is ideal for a workshop, garage or the job site.
- Included are the compressor, a quick coupler, a ball valve, 6’ cord, and a 1-year limited lifetime warranty.
Master Airbrush Kit Air Compressor
This kit is so comprehensive.
Master Airbrush Kit Key Features
- This Master Airbrush Model TC-326T is a professional quality airbrush compressor system.
- This one has superior and powerful performance
- Thanks to its single-piston compressor at 1/5hp.
- It has two cooling fans which means it can run for longer and stay cool even when run continuously.
- The air tank is large, at 3 liters in size, so it gives zero pulsation and delivers a constant pressure.
- The G22 brush is a gravity-feed dual-action brush that has a 0.3mm time and fluid cup of 1/3oz.
- You get access to the Resource Centre too.
- There’s a 6-foot braided hose with a plug that disconnects quickly.
- The airbrush holder is mounted and clamps on with space for four brushes.
- The cleaning pot and mixing sticks come in a 50-pack kit.
- There are 24 acrylic colors in 1oz. bottles as well as a cleaner and reducer.
- You can use them on textiles and mixed media for permanent results.
- Lastly, there’s 100% guarantee so you can purchase with confidence.
- If for whatever reason, you’re not happy, they will provide a refund on the brushes within a year and the compressor within five years.
Multi-Purpose Master Airbrush Air Compressor
A quiet air compressor is our number seven choice.
Multi-Purpose Master Airbrush Key Features
- Comes with Model G22 high-performance multi-purpose airbrush that has 1/3oz. gravity feed fluid cup and 0.3mm tip.
- The air compressor has 1/5hp with a filter to trap water alongside a pressure regulator.
- Comes with a holder for two airbrushes and the brushes are extremely versatile and user-friendly.
- They can be used for automotive graphics, crafts, hobbies, cake decorating, temporary tattoos, nail air, and fine art, among other things!
- This would be a great starter kit for beginners but is advanced enough for experienced artists too.
- You can use most kinds of paint media. There’s a How-To guide included.
- It comes with a 100% guarantee. If you aren’t happy, they will offer a refund or replacement – one year for the brushes and five years for the compressor.
Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Air Compressor
This is another excellent kit to have a look at.
Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Key Features
- Professional performance due to a high-detail precision airbrush that has a fine tip of 0.2mm.
- The dual-action airbrush has a gravity feed and a 1/3oz. fluid cup.
- There’s a quick-start how-to guide and an access card to the resource centre included too.
- The airbrush has a 4-piece precision-machined head system so that you get super fine atomization.
- There is also a direct air-control regulation valve to give you the utmost in micro-fine control of the spray.
- The handle is cutaway in its design so you can flush fluid passage quickly.
- You can control the paint flow with the knob.
- It comes with 24 colours in 1oz. bottles as well as the cleaner and reducer.
- The air hose is 6-feet long and is braided.
- There’s an easy-disconnect plug, an airbrush holder for two brushes, 4-brush clamp-on holder.
- The cleaning pot can be used in three ways and comes with a 50 pack of cups and mixing sticks.
- This one has a pleasing 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- If you’re unhappy with the brushes, you can have a refund or replacement within 12 months.
- If there is a problem with the air compressor.
- You have up to five years to claim a replacement or refund.
Craftsman Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
This air compressor from craftsman is a 3-gallon portable model.
Craftsman Key Features
- The compact and lightweight design means you can take this from home to workplace or from worksite to worksite.
- It runs with a 3-gallon tank and 1.5hp UMC motor so there is plenty of stored air making for reliable performance.
- The maximum PSI pressure is 155 and so gives a quick speed of inflation and allows you to finish the project easily and efficiently.
- Oli-free and maintenance-free design – enjoy the simple operation and longevity of this one!
- Handles multi-functions well such as stapling, nailing, bolting, and fastening, as well as crafts, hobby painting, and inflation.
- The whole kit includes the air compressor, air filter, 6-foot cord, a quick coupler, ball valve, and a limited lifetime warranty for one year.
Master Professional Air Compressor
Lastly in our list is another Cool Runner kit!
Master Professional Key Features
- This one has three of the best user-friendly and best-selling airbrushes.
- There’s a bonus Quick Start guide and access to the Resource Centre too.
- Superior performance is guaranteed thanks to 1/5hp with a single-piston compressor and double cooling fans.
- It will run for longer and keep cooler even with running continuously.
- Includes three brushes: Model G22, Model S68, Model E91.
- The first is a dual-action brush with a 0.3mm top, 1/3 oz. fluid cup and gravity feed.
- The S68 is a dual-action siphon feed brush with 0.35mm tip.
- It has a ¾oz. siphon bottle. The last brush is a single-action brush that is siphon-fed and has a 0.8mm tip.
- There are six primary colours included in 1oz. bottles with a cleaner and reducer.
- These colours are grass green, sapphire blue, bright red, bright yellow, white, and deep black.
- There’s also a colour mixing wheel that’s double-sided and a set for cleaning.
- Again, with all products from this company, there’s a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
- They will replace or refund the brushes within the first year if you’re not happy, and the compressor within the first five years.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
When buying the best air compressor for automotive painting, you want to ensure that you get the right one for what you need. So, before you go and buy the first one you see, it’s important to consider the things that make an air compressor good. It may make you consider something that you hadn’t thought about trying before. Let’s have a look at some tips and features to help you on your way to choosing the best air compressor.
Oil-Free Pumps Air Compressor
Choosing an air compressor that has an oil-free pump is not essential, but it does reduce how much it will cost you in terms of maintenance. This means that, for many people, they are worth the investment. Most higher-priced air compressors are already oil-free, but if you’re looking at a cheaper model, you may need to look in detail as to whether it is an oil-free design. The oil-free designs don’t mix oil with compressed air, which avoids problems in the long run.
Auxiliary Air Tanks
If you get an auxiliary air tank with your compressor it will mean that you have an increase in the air storage capabilities of your air compressor. You will be able to work for longer periods. The quality of your painting on your car will be improved too.
Air Compressor Multiple Couplers
An air compressor that has multiple couplers lets you complete varied tasks without having to disconnect a tool and reconnect another one. This will inevitably save you money and time. Air compressors with multiple couplers are more expensive, but they are better and easier if you use your air compressor for different functions regularly.
Air Compressor’s High PSI Level
Choosing an air compressor that has a high maximum PSI level; this means that you can you power better tools for longer with the compressor. The air compressor is only as good as its PSI rating. Remember though, the PSI is not the only measure of how good a product is and how reliable it will be. You have to consider other things too. It is not vital to have the highest PSI level, but the higher the level, the better the air compressor in general.
Think about what tools you will need to power and what PSI level they need. For example you must consider these in choosing the best air compressor fittings. You need to choose a level that is suitable for your highest PSI rated tool. Make sure you do some research.
Air Compressor Price Considerations
Of course, you want a good quality product, but you also don’t want to pay more than is reasonable or more than you can afford. Set a budget for yourself and see what air compressors come within your price range. The high price of some air compressors does not always mean that they’re better. If you look for the best air compressor for home shop you would certainly find some with reasonable price with maximum facilities.
Air Compressor Frequency
The frequency of use for your air compressor is an important consideration. It will affect which model you choose. A professional using an air compressor every day will need to purchase something more expensive than someone automotive painting at home or as a hobby. The best home use air compressor is certainly a different choice than the best air compressor for automotive air tools in the professional workshop. Cheaper models will not last as long or for as many uses as the more expensive ones.
Portability Air Compressor
Many compressors have wheels or handles so you can transport them from one place to another. Often, they are too heavy to lift alone, but they are not that difficult to move compared to some others. It is important, therefore, to decide whether you will want to move your air compressor from one place to another and how often. This is true in case of using the best air compressor for spray painting as well as the best air compressor for automotive air tools.
If this is likely to be something that happens only rarely, then portability is not of the utmost importance. However, if you want to be able to move it regularly and multiple times a day, it is important to choose a portable model.
Air Compressor Tank Size
The air compressor’s tank size is important so that you have the correct power consistently. Automotive painting is demanding and, as a result, the cheap, smaller compressors won’t cut the mustard. You should choose one with at least a 50-gallon tank capacity so that it gives you the best in terms of efficiency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a “constant” compressor better than a “stop start” compressor?
Businesses such as automotive garages will need an air compressor that runs consistently and therefore a “constant” compressor would be better choice. The choice ultimately depends on how long you will use it for and for how often. The smaller compressors usually fall into the “stop start” category and are better suited to home use. To sum up, professionals should opt for constant as this will fulfill their needs better. Home use or DIYers could opt for a “stop start” variety especially if their jobs are frequent and not for long periods of time at once.
How frequently does the oil in an air compressor need changing?
If your air compressor is one that has oil, you will need to change the oil in the same way as you would change a car’s engine oil. The oil should be changed around every 3 months or so. If you have a rotary screw air compressor then you can use it for around 8,000 hours continuously before an oil change. Of course, many air compressors are oil-free these days. Usually, these are the more expensive types of air compressor.
Can an electric generator be used to power the air compressor?
Whilst this is entirely possible, it is really not recommended. This is due to the fact that the air compressor will require electrical energy to run consistently to ensure that it is safe. Generators often have a fluctuation in their flow of energy, and it can change quickly. This means that that compressor could randomly power up or power off without your control. If your generator is big, it will generally be better at coping with the air compressor as the fluctuations should be less than with smaller generators.
My air compressor has lower than expected pressure. What can I do?
Usually, people experience low pressure caused by the length of the hose. A longer hose interferes with pressure as it can drop because of the distance the air travels along with the hose. Try reducing the hose length and this should increase the pressure to the desired level. Alternatively, if you wait for a few minutes, the pressure may stabilize and be restored. This probably won’t fix this issue permanently though.
Larger units may have a pressure problem due to a leaking connector or by the regulator. You should check both of these to ensure that they are in good working order.
Final Concept on Best Air Compressor for Automotive Painting
To conclude, any of the air compressors in our list would do well with the automotive painting. However, in order to be sure that you choose the best air compressor for automotive painting for your needs, you should first check with what kind of compressor you need in terms of your own needs. If you need to use it continuously for work, then your requirements will be different.
There are many compressors to choose from and the best air compressor for spray painting won’t necessarily be the best air compressor for home shop work. You should also make sure that you have the best air compressor fittings to complement your choice.