There is no one-size fit when it comes to air compressors. You need to know about the best air compressor for auto body work what meets the need of a particular individual may not meet that of another. This review is put together to help you make your choice among the various types of air compressors out there today.
We are going to review some of the best air compressors in this write-up and you can choose any of the types described below when looking for an air compressor that will always give you good value for money. If you are looking for the best air compressor for auto body work, you have come to the right source of information.
- Top 10 Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Review
- CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor 6 gallon
- DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor 165 PSI
- EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump
- California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp
- PORTER-CABLE C2002 Air Compressor
- CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit
- Cambell Hausfeld 8 Gallon Portable Quiet Air Compressor
- California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ
- BOSTITCH Air Compressor 6 Gallon
- Tire Inflator Air Compressor 12V DC / 110V AC Dual Power
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work
- Frequently Asked Question
Top 10 Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Review
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor 6 gallon
If you are seeking for the best 6-gallon air compressor, CRAFTSMAN air compressor 6 gallon is worth a try. It is also highly portable. Its durability is outstanding.
Check below more of its outstanding features:
- Each unit comes with 1 year warranty
- The air compressor is very easy to start up even in cold weather
- The pump is free of oil and this ensures long life
- The technicalities are very simple and this makes for little or no maintenance.
- The compression recovery time is very fast thanks to its 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI.
- The package comes with 13 pieces of accessory kits are included in each package
The air compressor is very light and its maximum weight is 30 pounds. It can keep on running for a very long time without any issue. Additionally, the unit comes with 2 couplers and this means it can support two users at a time.
The motor’s performance is high and it runs quietly. Consequently, it will not make too much noise while it is on. You will have access to 1 year warranty, but you can forfeit the warranty if you ever attempt to tamper with the air compressor. Within this 1 year period, you can get a replacement or even a refund if you do not break any of the terms of the warranty.
You can also enjoy free repair within this one year period, as well as, seamless access to top-quality technical assistance.
DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor 165 PSI
This air compressor comes with so many outstanding features that make it one of the best to consider when looking for the best pancake air compressor. It works efficiently and requires little or no maintenance. It equally comes with a long-term warranty, which is a sign of originality and reliability. You will undoubtedly get good value for money from the air compressor. Continue reading to learn more about the features that make this air compressor to stand out.
Check below more of its outstanding features:
- It features 165 maximum PSI and its tank capacity is 6.0 gallons. The maximum capacity of the tank is 22.7L.
- The air compressor is also able to deliver 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI pump, as well as, SCFM at 40 PSI 3.7 SCFM.
- The motor is of very high efficiency and it can start up very well even cold weather conditions.
- Each unit of the air compressor comes with a very long cord that can be as long as 50ft or 15.2m
- The air compressor can work quietly thanks to its 75.5 dBA noise level. As a result, it will never disturb anyone or constitute noise pollution while it is working.
- Additionally, the air compressor comes with high flow couplers and regulator towards maximizing its air tool performance.
DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor 165 PSI is powered by a 120V, 60Hz, 10 amps motor. It is advisable to locate its air compressor at least 12 inches away from the wall so that no form of obstruction will interfere with the air flow.
EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump
This air compressor is one of the best ever and it will deliver on its promise. It is highly convenient to use and you can even plug it directly into the cigarette lighter socket in your car. It is powered by a 12VDC, 10 to 15 amps, 120 to 180W motor and it works as desired. Each unit is also equipped with a 12V DC cigarette lighter socket plug for easy connection.
Check below for some of its outstanding features:
- It comes with the auto shut off feature that helps prevent over inflation.
- The air compressor also comes with 4 Displays units that show its readings in PSI, BAR, KPA and KG/CM.
- It also comes with LED Flashlight that makes it easy to use at night or in poor visibility
- Bear in mind that the air compressor does not support any truck tires, be it heady duty truck tires or light truck tires.
- The air compressor can be used for multiple purposes also. You can use it to inflate bike tires, midsize SUV and even sedan tires. It will work perfectly so long as the engine size is less than 3.5 liter.
- Each unit equally comes with a universal valve connector for Schrader valve
The air compressor has a overheat protection that shuts off automatically when it is overloaded. Its adapters include short cone adapter, long cone adapter, needles value and so on. The long warranty period is in itself a sign of reliability.
California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp
This air compressor is one of the best to consider when looking for a quiet, maintenance free air compressor. It is oil-free and, therefore, requires little or no maintenance. Its ultra-quiet nature makes it very easy to use anywhere for that matter.
Check below for the unique features that make it outstanding:
- It exerts a maximum pressure of 120 PSI.
- It features 3.00 CFM at 40 PSI to 2.20 CFM and 90 PSI.
- Its motor is very powerful. The air compressor motor is a 1.0 HP (rated/running) 2HP (peak) rating.
- The pump is oil-free and, therefore, requires little or no maintenance. It will, therefore, will not cost you a lot of money.
- The air compressor comes with wheel kit & air filter to make its use even more convenient.
- The air compressor is ultra-quiet and its noise level is just 60 decibels.
- You only need 165 seconds to fill the tank when it is empty.
From the above, it is obvious that the California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp is one of the best air compressor for auto body work and among the quietest air compressors ever made; very few air compressors can ever boast of 60 decibels of sound. Its motor operates at 1680 RPM and will create less noise. The motor also does not wear quickly and you will not need to repair or replace any of the components too quickly. The capacity of the tank is 8 Gallon and the tank is made of steel.
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Air Compressor
This air compressor is one of the best to consider when looking for the best air compressor for painting cars. It is designed to last for long and it will not require too much maintenance. It will undoubtedly give you good value for money.
Check below for more of the features that make it stand out:
- It comes with an oil-free pump and will, therefore, require very little maintenance. This further improves the value you can get from the air compressor.
- It is highly durable and made to last for long. It will not damage quickly and you will not need to replace the parts too often.
- The motor has a low amp rating and it is powerful enough to start up even in very cold weather conditions. You can equally operate the air compressor with an extension cord.
- The tank has a capacity for 6 gallons. The tank also comes with a pancake-style design and this further improves its stability.
- The tank is made of steel and this gives assurance that it will last for a very long time.
- The recovery time for the compressor is very short thanks to its 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi per ISO 1217.
Additionally, the maximum tank pressure is 150 psi. It is, therefore, able to store more air for a longer period than many other air compressors out there today. The air compressor is portable and the process of use is easy. It equally has multiple applications.
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit
This air compressor is both reliable and durable; it is portable in its design and will undoubtedly give you good value for money. It is made in the US and it is made according to desirable standard. Consequently, it will last for long and save you the trouble of having to buy a new one too quickly.
Check below for some of its outstanding features:
- Each unit of the CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit comes with 1 year warranty, which is a sign of originality and reliability.
- The air compressor is made of carbon steel, which confers superior quality on it and ensures that it will not get damaged too quickly.
- Each unit of the air compressor comes with a hose that makes it ready for instant use.
- The air compressor is fitted with CMPBN18SB 18 GA Brad nailer that has the ability to drive up to 2 inches Brad nails.
- Additionally, the air compressor is oil-free and will not require any maintenance whatsoever. It will also not wear quickly and this means you will not have to replace the parts too often.
- The CMEC6150 compressor in each unit of the air compressor features 150 maximum PSI.
- The air compressor is lightweight and easy to carry from one place to another. It is equally portable.
The air compressor is ready to use out of the box. The tank can take 6 gallons of air and it is just perfect for different purposes, like baseboards, shoe molding and small trim.
Cambell Hausfeld 8 Gallon Portable Quiet Air Compressor
This air compressor is specially designed to last for long. It is equally among the quietest air compressors you can ever come by. It works without polluting the air with noise. The noise level is just 72 dBA, which is very low. Consequent of its quietness, it can be used both indoor and outdoor without ever compromising its performance. The air compressor can be used for multiple purposes and this makes it one of the most versatile among the air compressors available in the industry.
Check below for more if its outstanding features:
- The air compressor features 2.2 CFM at 90 PSI and 3.2 CFM at 40 PSI. It has a 120 maximum PSI and 120 volt rating.
- Its shroud design is fully covered and this confers special protection on the machine while it is being used.
- Its wheel and handle placements also promote its portability and convenience.
- The air compressor’s pump is oil-free and, as a result, it will not require any maintenance. It is very easy to use and also designed to last for long.
- As mentioned earlier, thus air compressor has a noise level of 72 dBA. As a result, it will not make much noise during its operation. The quietness makes it applicable for both indoor and outdoor uses.
- The air compressor can be used for multiple purposes. It is useful for bolting projects, nailing, stapling, hobby painting and even inflation projects.
California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ
The California Air Tools is one of the best air compressors to buy when looking for a quiet and efficient air compressor. Its decibel is so low that it can be used successfully both indoor and outdoor without any issue.
If you are a DIY homeowner, you will undoubtedly find this air compressor to be useful for various purposes at home. It comes with a powerful 1.0 HP that can operate at just 1680 RPM; this helps to keep wear at bay and also reduces the sound. As a result of this, the components will not get damaged too quickly and the air compressor will last for long.
Check below for more of the unique features of this air compressor:
- It comes with a very powerful motor, 1.0 horsepower. This makes it effective for various purposes.
- The components do not wear fast and this removes the need to replace any of the components for long.
- Each unit of the California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ air compressor comes with 1 year warranty, which is a sign of reliability, longevity and durability.
- The pump is oil-free and this means you will not need to carry out any maintenance for the air compressor to work optimally.
- Each unit has a life-cycled of over 1000 hours before wear and this places it far above many other air compressors in the industry. So, you can use the air compressor with confidence without bothering about wears.
- Furthermore, the air compressor can be used anywhere, including on uneven terrains and even at any temperature. The motor is powerful and can start up very easily in a cold weather condition.
BOSTITCH Air Compressor 6 Gallon
This air compressor comes with so many outstanding features and it will undoubtedly give you good value for money. For one, its tank has a 6-gallon capacity and 150max PSI, 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI. Each unit comes with a hose and it is, therefore, ready to use its design is unique also and the motor is powerful enough to start up even in very cold weather. Its noise level is very low and this enables a quiet work environment.
Check the highlights below for more of its outstanding features:
- The pump is oil-free and it will, therefore, require no daily maintenance before use. The oil-free state equally removes the possible risk of oil stains on the work surfaces.
- Additionally, the air compressor is lightweight and portable. It weighs only 29 pounds and can be moved about easily.
- Its tank is narrow and this means the air compressor can fit into small spaces in the home or anywhere for that matter.
- Each unit comes with a high flow regulator and dual couplers; these features help a great deal to maximize the performance of the air tool.
- The noise level is just 80 dBA and this makes it a considerably quiet machine.
- Each unit comes with a 50 inches air hose and it is, therefore, ready for use. The air hose is made of rubber and will not get damaged too quickly. The air hose is highly flexible and this improves the operation of the air compressor.
Tire Inflator Air Compressor 12V DC / 110V AC Dual Power
This is a very special air compressor in all sense of the word. It comes with so many features that will give you good value for money. For example, it is applicable to so many purposes, like bicycle tires, motorcycle tires and even car tires. It equally comes with a digital pressure gauge for easy gauging of the activities of the air compressor.
The air tool is portable and looks compact in its design. You will undoubtedly fall in love with it. Each unit comes with a user manual that will enlighten you about how to use the air compressor. It is lightweight and can be used conveniently both indoors and outdoors.
Check below for its many features:
- The air compressor has multiple uses; it can be used for various inflatable objects, including ball, bicycle tires, motorcycle tires and car tires.
- The air compressor has two modes; it can be used for both inflation and deflation.
- Furthermore, each unit comes with a high-pressure and high-volume hose that makes it ready to use.
- The inflation rate is very fast thanks to the two powerful metal motors in it, which makes it work faster than other air compressors that have one motor.
- Each unit also features ultra-bright LED flashlight that will help you to see during the night.
- The air compressor equally has an auto shut off feature that automatically turns it off once the desired pressure is attained.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work
Before you buy the best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work, you should consider some of the points described below:
Check the size
The size of the air compressor varies from one brand to another. It also depends on the particular types of air tool that you need and if you have any plan for expansion. The amount of air pressure you need can equally determine the type of air compressor to buy. If, for example, you have two tools with one having a minimum pressure of 70 PSIG and the other have a minimum of 100 PSIG, then the system pressure can be set at or above 100 PSIG.
Rotary vane vs. rotary screw compressor
Rotary vane compressor makes use of a single off-set rotor and it is supported by two simple bearings, as well as, turn at 1,800 rpm or less. This causes several blades to slide in and out of the rotor towards creating compression pockets. The simple design makes it able to work for 100,000 hours. The rotary screw compressor, on the other hand, is made up of a set of parallel rotors supported by 6 bearings. The screw is turned at high speed by speed increasing gears or belts. It is fitted with a heavily insulated cabinet, which helps to reduce the noise a great deal.
Check the air volume
Check if the air compressor has the right air volume (CFM) and air pressure measured in PSI. You should also check the discharge air quality before buying the air compressor. This will help to remove the need to rework the air compressor; it will also ensure that the painting job is done perfectly. Check also if the air compressor can accept both waterborne paints and solvent-based paints. This way, water will not damage your air tools or mess up your paint job
Consider ease of storage
One other very important thing to consider when choosing an air compressor for your auto body work is the compatibility of the air compressor. You are better off with a more compact air compressor since such can be stored easily and will not require much space in your shed or garage. Make sure that the room temperature is never exceeded in the storage area so that the air compressor will not overheat and automatically shut down.
Frequently Asked Question
How often should I change the oil in the air compressor?
First of all, many of the air compressors out there today are oil-free. In case the one you are using also uses oil, then oil change can depend a great deal on the type of air compressor. The oil should be changed after every 7000 to 8000 hours of use if you are using a rotary screw compressor. If you are using a reciprocating air compressor, on the other hand, then you should consider changing the oil after every 3 months of use. If you do not know the specific duration to follow for that particular brand of air compressor, you can contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Can a compressor run on a generator?
Yes, the air compressor should be able to run on a generator. However, it all depends on the size and capacity of that particular generator and that of the air compressor itself. While it is possible for an air compressor to run on a generator, it is not a recommended way to operate the air compressor. This is because the power generated by generators tends to fluctuate and an air compressor requires constant voltage to operate successfully. Because of the fluctuating voltage, the generator may cause unwanted damage in the air compressor.
What will happen if water gets into the air compressor?
The tanks of air compressors are made of steel. Id water gets into the tank. The tank will start to rust from inside. This can damage the tank over time if the rust is not removed and permanently corrected. If you want to get rid of the rust and also prevent its future occurrence, it is advisable to get in touch with the service center in your locality and they will enlighten you about the best way to eliminate this problem. However, make sure you contact the service center for the specific type of air compressor you are using.
What is the right size of hose to use?
The type of compressor you have can determine the type and size of hose to buy. Bear in mind that some air compressors come together with air hose and this means you will not have to worry about getting an air hose by yourself. The most common air hose sizes are 3/8 inches and ¼ inches. You can get a good idea of the type of air hose to use for your air compressor from the user manual you can also contact the manufacturer for help on the type of air hose to use. The size of the air hose goes higher as the size of the compressor increases.
What tank size is the best?
The amount of air you need to store can determine the size of the tank to consider. Bear in mind that there is no size fit all; it all depends on what you are using the air compressor for and the amount of work you are doing with the air compressor. If you go for a bigger tank, you will not have to start and stop the motor too often in the course of any project, which is usually the case if you are using an air compressor with a smaller tank. You are better off with a smaller tank if you do not need much air for the project.
We have opened your eyes to a lot of things to consider when buying an air compressor. We have also enlightened you about the various types of air compressors available on the market today and how to make the right choice among them. You can go for any of the air compressors described above when looking for the best air compressor for auto body work since they are all compact and lightweight. The air compressors reviewed above are all of the top quality and they can serve you perfectly. Consequently, you will get good value for money on virtually any of them. You will also not have to spend an arm and a leg to buy any of them.