There is no one-size fit when it comes to air compressors. You need to know about the best air compressor for auto body work what meets the need of a particular individual may not meet that of another. This review is put together to help you make your choice among the various types of air compressors out there today.
We are going to review some of the best air compressors in this write-up and you can choose any of the types described below when looking for an air compressor that will always give you good value for money. If you are looking for the best air compressor for auto body work, you have come to the right source of information.
- Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Buying Guide
- Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Review
- CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor 6 gallon
- DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor
- EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor
- California Air Tools Air Compressor
- PORTER-CABLE C2002 Air Compressor
- CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit
- Cambell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor
- California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ
- BOSTITCH Air Compressor
- Avid Power Dual Power Air Compressor
- Frequently Asked Question
- Final Thought
Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Buying Guide
Before you buy the best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work, you should consider some of the points described below:
Check the size of the air compressor
The size of the air compressor varies from one brand to another. It also depends on the particular types of air tool that you need and if you have any plan for expansion. The amount of air pressure you need can equally determine the type of air compressor to buy.
If, for example, you have two tools with one having a minimum pressure of 70 PSIG and the other have a minimum of 100 PSIG, then the system pressure can be set at or above 100 PSIG.
Rotary vane vs. rotary screw compressor
Rotary vane compressor makes use of a single off-set rotor and it is supported by two simple bearings, as well as, turn at 1,800 rpm or less. This causes several blades to slide in and out of the rotor towards creating compression pockets. The simple design makes it able to work for 100,000 hours.
The rotary screw compressor, on the other hand, is made up of a set of parallel rotors supported by 6 bearings. The screw is turned at high speed by speed increasing gears or belts. It is fitted with a heavily insulated cabinet, which helps to reduce the noise a great deal.
Check the air volume
Check if the air compressor has the right air volume (CFM) and air pressure measured in PSI. You should also check the discharge air quality before buying the air compressor.
This will help to remove the need to rework the air compressor; it will also ensure that the painting job is done perfectly. Check also if the air compressor can accept both waterborne paints and solvent-based paints. This way, water will not damage your air tools or mess up your paint job
Consider ease of storage
One other very important thing to consider when choosing an air compressor for your auto body work is the compatibility of the air compressor.
You are better off with a more compact air compressor since such can be stored easily and will not require much space in your shed or garage. Make sure that the room temperature is never exceeded in the storage area so that the air compressor will not overheat and automatically shut down.
Best Air Compressor for Auto Body Work Review
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor 6 gallon
The air compressor is very light and its maximum weight is 30 pounds. It can keep on running for a very long time without any issue. Additionally, the unit comes with 2 couplers and this means it can support two users at a time.
The motor’s performance is high and it runs quietly. Consequently, it will not make too much noise while it is on. You will have access to 1 year warranty, but you can forfeit the warranty if you ever attempt to tamper with the air compressor. Within this 1 year period, you can get a replacement or even a refund if you do not break any of the terms of the warranty.
You can also enjoy free repair within this one year period, as well as, seamless access to top-quality technical assistance.
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Key Features
- Each unit comes with 1 year warranty
- The air compressor is very easy to start up even in cold weather
- The pump is free of oil and this ensures long life
- The technicalities are very simple and this makes for little or no maintenance
- The compression recovery time is very fast thanks to its 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI
- The package comes with 13 pieces of accessory kits are included in each package
DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor
This DEWALT air compressor comes with so many outstanding features that make it one of the best to consider when looking for the best pancake air compressor. It works efficiently and requires little or no maintenance.
DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor 165 PSI is powered by a 120V, 60Hz, 10 amps motor. It is advisable to locate its air compressor at least 12 inches away from the wall so that no form of obstruction will interfere with the air flow.
It equally comes with a long-term warranty, which is a sign of originality and reliability. You will undoubtedly get good value for money from the air compressor. Continue reading to learn more about the features that make this air compressor to stand out.
DEWALT Air Compressor Key Features
- Its 165 maximum PSI and tank capacity is 6.0 gallons or maximum of 22.7L
- Deliver 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI and SCFM at 40 PSI 3.7 SCFM
- Each unit of the air compressor can be as long as 50ft or 15.2m
- This can work 75.5 dBA noise level. No noise pollution while it is working
- Comes with high flow couplers and regulator towards maximizing its air tool performance
- The motor can start up very well even cold weather conditions
EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor
This air compressor is one of the best ever and it will deliver on its promise. It is highly convenient to use and you can even plug it directly into the cigarette lighter socket in your car. This 12V DC air compressor is powered by a 12VDC, 10 to 15 amps, 120 to 180W motor and it works as desired. Each unit is also equipped with a 12V DC cigarette lighter socket plug for easy connection.
The 12V DC air compressor has a overheat protection that shuts off automatically when it is overloaded. Its adapters include short cone adapter, long cone adapter, needles value and so on. The long warranty period is in itself a sign of reliability.
EPAuto 12V DC Air Compressor Key Features
- It comes with the auto shut off feature that helps prevent over inflation
- The air compressor also comes with 4 Displays units PSI, BAR, KPA and KG/CM
- It is an LED Flashlight so that easy to use at night or in poor visibility
- The air compressor heady duty truck tires or light truck tires
- You can use it to inflate bike tires, midsize SUV and even sedan tires
- Each unit equally comes with a universal valve connector for Schrader valve
California Air Tools Air Compressor
This California air compressor is one of the best to consider when looking for a quiet, maintenance-free air compressor. It is oil-free and, therefore, requires little or no maintenance. Its ultra-quiet nature makes it very easy to use anywhere for that matter.
From the above, it is obvious that the California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp is one of the best air compressor for auto body work and among the quietest air compressors ever made; very few air compressors can ever boast of 60 decibels of sound.
Its motor operates at 1680 RPM and will create less noise. The motor also does not wear quickly and you will not need to repair or replace any of the components too quickly. The capacity of the tank is 8 Gallon and the tank is made of steel.
California Air Compressor Key Features
- It exerts a maximum pressure of 120 PSI
- It features 3.00 CFM at 40 PSI to 2.20 CFM and 90 PSI
- The air compressor motor is a 1.0 HP (rated/running) 2HP (peak) rating
- The pump is oil-free and, therefore, requires little or no maintenance
- It comes with wheel kit & air filter to make its use even more convenient
- The air compressor is ultra-quiet and its noise level is just 60 decibels
- You only need 165 seconds to fill the tank when it is empty
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Air Compressor
This PORTER-CABLE air compressor is one of the best to consider when looking for the best air compressor for painting cars. It is designed to last for long and it will not require too much maintenance. It will undoubtedly give you good value for money.
Additionally, the maximum tank pressure is 150 psi. It is, therefore, able to store more air for a longer period than many other air compressors out there today. The air compressor is portable and the process of use is easy. It equally has multiple applications.
PORTER-CABLE Air Compressor Key Features
- It is highly durable and made to last for long
- The tank has a capacity for 6 gallons
- This tank also comes with a pancake-style design
- The tank is made of steel and this gives assurancee
- The compressor is 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi per ISO 1217
- It will not damage quickly and not need to replace the parts
- The motor has a low AMP rating and it is powerful enough
- You can equally operate the air compressor with an extension cord
- It comes with an oil-free pump and requires very little maintenance
- This further improves the value you can get from the air compressor
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit
This air compressor is both reliable and durable; it is portable in its design and will undoubtedly give you good value for money. It is made in the US and it is made according to desirable standard. Consequently, it will last for long and save you the trouble of having to buy a new one too quickly.
The air compressor is ready to use out of the box. The tank can take 6 gallons of air and it is just perfect for different purposes, like baseboards, shoe molding and small trim.
CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Key Features
- It is fitted with CMPBN18SB 18 GA Brad nailer
- The CMEC6150 compressor features 150 maximum PSI
- The air compressor is oil-free and will not require any maintenance
- CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor Combo Kit comes with 1 year warranty
- This is made of carbon steel so it will not get damaged too quickly
- The air compressor comes with a hose that makes it ready for instant use
- This is lightweight and easy to carry from one place to another
Cambell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor
This Cambell Hausfeld Portable air compressor is specially designed to last for long. It is equally among the quietest air compressors you can ever come by. It works without polluting the air with noise. The noise level is just 72 dBA, which is very low.
Consequent of its quietness, it can be used both indoor and outdoor without ever compromising its performance. The air compressor can be used for multiple purposes and this makes it one of the most versatile among the air compressors available in the industry.
The air compressor can be used for multiple purposes. It is useful for bolting projects, nailing, stapling, hobby painting and even inflation projects.
Cambell Hausfeld Air Compressor Key Features
- The air compressor’s pump is oil-free and very easy to use
- It features 2.2 CFM at 90 PSI and 3.2 CFM at 40 PSI but 120 maximum PSI
- It’s oise level of 72 dBA and it is applicable for both indoor and outdoor uses
- This has a wheel and handles placements also promote its portability and convenience
- Its shroud design is fully covered and this confers special protection on the machine
California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ
The California Air Tools is one of the best air compressors to buy when looking for a quiet and efficient air compressor. Its decibel is so low that it can be used successfully both indoor and outdoor without any issue.
If you are a DIY homeowner, you will undoubtedly find this air compressor to be useful for various purposes at home. It comes with a powerful 1.0 HP that can operate at just 1680 RPM; this helps to keep wear at bay and also reduces the sound. As a result of this, the components will not get damaged too quickly and the air compressor will last for long.
Each unit has a life-cycled of over 1000 hours before wear and this places it far above many other air compressors in the industry. So, you can use the air compressor with confidence without bothering about wears.
Furthermore, the air compressor can be used anywhere, including on uneven terrains and even at any temperature. The motor is powerful and can start up very easily in a cold weather conditions.
California Air Compressor Key Features
- The components do not wear fast
- It comes with a very powerful motor, 1.0 horsepower
- The pump is oil-free so no need to carry out any maintenance
- Each unit of the California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ comes with a 1-year warranty
BOSTITCH Air Compressor
This BOSTITCH air compressor comes with so many outstanding features and it will undoubtedly give you good value for money. For one, its tank has a 6-gallon capacity and 150max PSI, 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI.
Each unit comes with a hose and it is, therefore, ready to use its design is unique also and the motor is powerful enough to start up even in very cold weather. Its noise level is very low and this enables a quiet work environment.
Each unit comes with a 50 inches air hose and it is, therefore, ready for use. The air hose is made of rubber and will not get damaged too quickly. The air hose is highly flexible and this improves the operation of the air compressor.
BOSTITCH Air Compressor Key Features
- Additionally, it is lightweight and portable
- It weighs only 29 pounds and can be moved about easily
- Each unit comes with a high flow regulator and dual couplers
- The pump is oil-free and it will, therefore, require no daily maintenance
- The noise level is just 80 dBA and this makes it a considerably quiet machine
- Its tank is narrow and this means the air compressor can fit into small spaces
Avid Power Dual Power Air Compressor
This is a very special air compressor in all sense of the word. It comes with so many features that will give you good value for money. For example, it is applicable to so many purposes, like bicycle tires, motorcycle tires and even car tires. It equally comes with a digital pressure gauge for easy gauging of the activities of the air compressor.
The air tool is portable and looks compact in its design. You will undoubtedly fall in love with it. Each unit comes with a user manual that will enlighten you about how to use the air compressor. It is lightweight and can be used conveniently both indoors and outdoors.
The air compressor equally has an auto shut off feature that automatically turns it off once the desired pressure is attained.
Avid Power Air Compressor Key Features
- The air compressor can be used for both inflation and deflation
- Furthermore, each unit comes with a high-pressure and high-volume
- The inflation rate is very fast thanks to the two powerful metal motors
- Each unit also features ultra-bright LED flashlight to see during the night
- It can be used for including ball, bicycle tires, motorcycle tires and car tires
Frequently Asked Question
when you want to buy an air compressor for auto bodywork that you face some questions about it. Some are bellow:
How often should I change the oil in the air compressor?
First of all, many of the air compressors out there today are oil-free. In case the one you are using also uses oil, then oil change can depend a great deal on the type of air compressor. The oil should be changed after every 7000 to 8000 hours of use if you are using a rotary screw compressor.
If you are using a reciprocating air compressor, on the other hand, then you should consider changing the oil after every 3 months of use. If you do not know the specific duration to follow for that particular brand of air compressor, you can contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Can a compressor run on a generator?
Yes, the air compressor should be able to run on a generator. However, it all depends on the size and capacity of that particular generator and that of the air compressor itself. While it is possible for an air compressor to run on a generator, it is not a recommended way to operate the air compressor.
This is because the power generated by generators tends to fluctuate and an air compressor requires constant voltage to operate successfully. Because of the fluctuating voltage, the generator may cause unwanted damage in the air compressor.
What will happen if water gets into the air compressor?
The tanks of air compressors are made of steel. Id water gets into the tank. The tank will start to rust from inside. This can damage the tank over time if the rust is not removed and permanently corrected.
If you want to get rid of the rust and also prevent its future occurrence, it is advisable to get in touch with the service center in your locality and they will enlighten you about the best way to eliminate this problem. However, make sure you contact the service center for the specific type of air compressor you are using.
What is the right size of hose to use?
The type of compressor you have can determine the type and size of hose to buy. Bear in mind that some air compressors come together with air hose and this means you will not have to worry about getting an air hose by yourself.
The most common air hose sizes are 3/8 inches and ¼ inches. You can get a good idea of the type of air hose to use for your air compressor from the user manual you can also contact the manufacturer for help on the type of air hose to use. The size of the air hose goes higher as the size of the compressor increases.
What tank size is the best?
The amount of air you need to store can determine the size of the tank to consider. Bear in mind that there is no size fit all; it all depends on what you are using the air compressor for and the amount of work you are doing with the air compressor.
If you go for a bigger tank, you will not have to start and stop the motor too often in the course of any project, which is usually the case if you are using an air compressor with a smaller tank. You are better off with a smaller tank if you do not need much air for the project.
We have opened your eyes to a lot of things to consider when buying an air compressor. We have also enlightened you about the various types of air compressors available on the market today and how to make the right choice among them.
You can go for any of the air compressors described above when looking for the best air compressor for auto body work since they are all compact and lightweight. The air compressors reviewed above are all of the top quality and they can serve you perfectly.
Consequently, you will get good value for money on virtually any of them. You will also not have to spend an arm and a leg to buy any of them.